Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thinking about Connecticut Ants

Not really, but yes. I was getting ready for bed last night when a series of ants walked up my leg and onto the keyboard. My guess, they were on a mission and they had work to do. They weren't bothered that I was writing and they went on their merry way. Wait. We're inside? What are they doing?

They're working of course.

I think this is important. Not that my house has ants, but that ants share a common mission, divide tasks, and build community as a result. I am sure my inside ants were seeking food (or new territories) to support the colony.

Our individualistic society may not be so kind. It's man against man, woman against woman, school against school, or is it? I ask this question because this summer I am relearning the importance of sharing, collaborating, exploring, and growing together. Teachers are working with other teachers to res-establish their expertise, their passions, they abilities, and their strengths. Current teaching environments have stolen this from them and, like Dementors, sucked the life and energy out of their work. In the summer institute, as my colleague said to me this afternoon, "we're treated and respected as professionals."

Last I checked, that is exactly what teachers are. I share the frustration that they are currently being treated otherwise. There is not a school without a teacher. They are central and, quite frankly, I'm fed up with the fact that they are being ignored. That is why I'm loving my job. This summer, I am becoming stronger because I'm growing more intellectually from them.  It is not the lone ant who succeeds, but the collective.

No comments:

Post a Comment