Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Wyoming was beautiful!

I almost forgot to post because I was in Wyoming last night.

Actually, my face was, but I wasn't physically there. Dr. Kevin Roxas invited me to talk about my research and and teaching with his undergraduates at the University of Wyoming. He and I have been cyber friends for a few months and his research paralleled mine in that he interviewed teachers about their work with refugee youth. He is a friend for life because his writing has become a tremendous source for understanding the young men I work with.

So, I Skyped. I sent my presentation and he clicked the slides. I guess I was a big head upon a screen that talked to his students as he acted as my Van White.

I think that it is rather remarkable. Here I am in Connecticut teaching a class in Wyoming from 9 to 11 p.m (7 to 9 Mountain time). That's insane and a tremendous opportunity. He visited my class a few weeks ago from Wyoming and it was an honor to return the favor. I wish I could say that Wyoming was beautiful, but I only experienced it from inside a lecture hall on campus. Hmmm, how do I list a guest presentation on my vita when I wasn't actually there physically? Tricky.

No comments:

Post a Comment