Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dinner at the President's home with...

State Commissioner of Education, Stephan Pryor.

I felt a bit like I was in England again with the phenomenal etiquette, rituals, and company. A lady to take my coat, a glass of wine, roasted duck hor d'oeuvres, and then a full course meal at President Jeffrey P. Von Arx's home. I felt honored to be one of 10 guests invited before the Commissioner spoke to an audience of over 100 people at the Quick Center. The conversation was urban reform and Pryor addressed the vision in place after a year of serving Dan Malloy.

The question I asked revolved around assessment. I noted that of the 25 school days in Bridgeport this year, teachers have been required to distribute assessments on up to 17 of those days. I wondered when teachers were going to be able to teach and when students would have an opportunity to learn material rather than always being tested to show how low their scores are. It's inane. My observations today in a local school were at an all time low because the kids have finally had it and they were crazed. I sat at a table with seven boys who bubbled in the sheets within two minutes and announced to their teachers, "Ms, I'm done." They then proceeded to have an engaged, intellectual conversation about their lives outside of school showcasing the very skills necessary to pass the tests they chose not to take seriously. They analyzed, inferred, predicted, summarized and interpreted events of their lives in context of school - which they claimed was totally irrelevant to their needs.
I simply asked, "What is the State's stance on the assessment issue and AYP - what Dr. Alfred Tatum has dubbed (OYP), overlooking young people.

The Commissioner's answer went in circles and I got the impression he, nor anyone, knows what to do to get out of this vicious testing bonanza. It is absolutely ludicrous.

There weren't too many hecklers in the audience although several guests came prepared with questions. They were loaded with data, wondering how there are several linked parties who have traveled to NY after 9/11, New Orleans after Katrina, New Jersey after the Zuckerberg Facebook donations, and then Haiti, after the Earthquake. The groups seem to follow disaster money and then draw off public donations to bring reform....but does it actually occur? It is eerie to think about these questions and what they imply, but that was one of many discussed last night.

My point, though, is that it was good to be invited to dine before the conversation and then to ask the first question of many - a long day, but worth every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment