Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Welcoming the State Commissioner of Education...

Stefan Pryor.

Fairfield University will be hosting the honorable guest tonight at the Quick Center on campus. Although Pryor has done several television programs, meetings in New Haven and Hartford, this may be one of the first open-to-the-public events near Bridgeport. The evening will be a discussion on the State's plan for urban reform. As with any policy, his work arrives with controversy including credentials and trust. When we asked individuals to send us questions to ask the Commissioner, we were greeted with a wide variety, including many who led us to websites that are following the work of Connecticut closely.

In a nutshell: there's money is urban reform and there is a pull between private and public sectors.

From reading articles and viewing online interviews, I can't fault any of what the plan requests. We should have stronger teachers, higher standards, and more accountability. The trouble from me is when we interpret state assessments as the end-all, be-all in skills youth need. It results in limited instruction for the tests, a lot of paperwork geared towards the test, busy work, frustration, aggravation, and apathy on the parts of kids. It's not only Connecticut. I am hearing from Kentucky and New York, too, where teachers report they test three days a week giving them two days to actually instruct for the next go around of tests. As a program of education, there is no longer teaching...just testing. What are we testing if the kids are never being taught? It's inane.

I haven't quite shaped my question to ask yet, but I think I want to speak on behalf of kids and teachers who are fighting to keep morale up. I'm, as always, in the middle and, at this point, continue to see the stories from all the angles. Everyone is right...in a way...but there's no time for speculation because too many kids (and their teachers) are being wronged.

The commissioner's plan discusses funding for professional development with teachers, especially to improve content knowledge and the mastery of teaching skills. I am wondering if the Commissioner has a stream of funds to go to the three sites of the National Writing Project to help with this training. If not, I want to know what professional development research he is reading so I can learn more about their programs. It seems logical to me that the State of Connecticut should consult with literacy specialists - the teacher consultants from all three branches: Storrs, Central Connecticut and Fairfield.

That would make sense, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment