I saw that Fairfield University was hosting the MAACS volleyball tournament this weekend. I looked at the schedule and didn't go. Yesterday, though, I saw that Fairfield's team made it to the finals, so I went. The students around me said that Fairfield has not beat Siena in over 6 years. Their team was smaller, but they played together very well. They dominated the first game and Fairfield was up during the second game but lost it in the end. We all thought it was over when the lady Stags rallied. Actually, that is an understatement. They got their into their groove and everything began working for them. They played awesome and, after five matches, they won the MAACS tournament and will receive a space during the NCAA volleyball tournament.
While in Louisville, I loved when the NCAA volleyball semi-finals came to town. Watching exceptional teams powerhouse their way to the next venue was exciting. That was how yesterday felt. The adrenaline was miraculous and the come-from-behind was beyond memorable.
I sat for a short while with Coach Johnson, the men's basketball coach, and talked with him and his wife. I don't think any of us expected a triumphant day like that. The first two matches were that disappointing. But, just when it came time to kick it in gear, the ladies did.
As they ran off the court and the reality hit, they burst into tears. It was one of the more memorable moments since moving to Connecticut and made me proud - I love when underdogs win. It also made me miss coaching and the three-games a week I added to an already intense teaching schedule. But, I can say I was there and the ladies of Fairfield University should be very thrilled by their accomplishment.
While in Louisville, I loved when the NCAA volleyball semi-finals came to town. Watching exceptional teams powerhouse their way to the next venue was exciting. That was how yesterday felt. The adrenaline was miraculous and the come-from-behind was beyond memorable.
I sat for a short while with Coach Johnson, the men's basketball coach, and talked with him and his wife. I don't think any of us expected a triumphant day like that. The first two matches were that disappointing. But, just when it came time to kick it in gear, the ladies did.
As they ran off the court and the reality hit, they burst into tears. It was one of the more memorable moments since moving to Connecticut and made me proud - I love when underdogs win. It also made me miss coaching and the three-games a week I added to an already intense teaching schedule. But, I can say I was there and the ladies of Fairfield University should be very thrilled by their accomplishment.

No comments:
Post a Comment