Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Wondering about wonders and wandering in the

world of adolescent texts. I feel blessed to have been able to spend one semester teaching Young Adult Literature. Over the summer, I heard a few teachers buzzing about a book called Wonder by R. J. Palacio and I immediately ordered it.

Enroute to Vegas, I thought I might have a few minutes to read the book (that is the life of seated isolation and airport travel - time to read). I didn't know what to expect, other than a story of a young man with a disfigured face. The title, the story line, and the writing had me wondering why this book is resonating with teachers and students.

And so I read it. And I am glad I did.

Wonder is one of those books that I find difficult to write about. Instead, I simplify and say, "you've got to read it." Palacio does a great job of providing perspectives of the young man, his sister, his friends, and his sister's boyfriend. Each chapter adds a layer about the integrity of youth to live by precepts, morals, beyond the adult world (even with our fear that kids can be extremely cruel).

I'm also a sucker for dog narratives and let's just say that the part that emotionally charged me (18,000 feet above the U.S.) was the family's relationship with their dog. Such gentle, universal emotions poured from the pages and kept me thinking, reflecting, and wondering throughout. I have no quotes from the text or profound insights. Instead, I leave my thinking with a recommendation - Read It.

I am sure I will be thinking about Wonder for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment