Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Crazy

We were ending our day at the urban sites conference in Tulsa, Oklahoma when Sharon Washington spoke into the microphone, "I know when I am being upstaged." The next thing we knew, Reverend Jesse Jackson walked into our room and talked to us about urban education, the shootings in Tulsa, and our responsibility to history.

The back story is that he is here to attend a funeral and a teacher told him that we were urban educators at a conference. She invited him to meet us. He came and spoke to our crowd of around 80. It was truly an unexpected treat for us all and, lucky for me, I was sitting all by myself at the front of the room because I was doing the technology for presenters.

It is one of those moments in life when you think, "Wow. How is it that I am in the same room with Jesse Jackson?"

Hopefully, there's a reason - maybe he is inspired by us and maybe we're inspired by him. The point of our missions is to do better work for all youth in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment