Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Has it really been five years?

I talked with Andrew Pillow, class of 2007, last night and we discussed how quickly five years went by. I left Kentucky in the spring of 2007 and now I'm in my second year of Connecticut. He left Kentucky and is teaching in Indianapolis through teach for America. He wondered, "Do you remember me as a writer?" and I asked him, Do I remember you turning in any of your work?"

Fast forward. He made me laugh. I loved his class. So much has changed, but it seems like yesterday I was still in the classroom encouraging seniors to attend college. Five years have passed. I no longer know the seniors and the ones I did know have moved on. It's surreal, actually, how quickly the whole thing has gone and as I told him, I left with a stellar class that has fueled me for some time.

Still, the daily routine of high school is a thing of the past and now, a dissertation and many sleepless nights later, I am in a new place. I'm unsure where time goes accept for to the adventure. It's 2012 and I'm no longer in New York or Kentucky. I'm in Connecticut and Jim Calhoun is retiring, the Cards are ranked #1 in a pre-season pole, the Cats #5, and the Orangemen #9. Zoom. that's what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment