Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Unfortunately, I prefer to...

but would rather prefer not to. That is my character flaw. Preferring.

In high school, I remember reading Herman Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener about the employee who refused to work. He just didn't want to. So, he didn't.

Inspired by an email from Julie Roneson last night, I was thinking about this story. Perhaps those who prefer not to end up living a life of more satisfaction. If we didn't work (especially if we didn't work hard) we might have more time to do other things more enjoyable in life: going for walks, hanging out with loved ones and friends, playing Scrabble, reading books, people watching.

Nope. Most of us have to labor and laboring is always more than the 40 hour work week. Sure, OSHA laws exist, but they're seldom followed. People work overtime for more funds or extra simply to get the work done. I would say, too, that almost 90% of the work we place on ourselves is silly, meaningless work caused because we have too little time to laugh at how dumb it actually is.

I am thinking about the multiple jobs I've had in my life and my "colleagues" who chose not to work: calling in sick, taking multiple breaks, refusing to bring work home, etc. and I am thinking, "They may be on to something."

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Huh, maybe that is why I prefer to have fun while having to...

Cuz, lord knows I'm having to go back at it again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment