Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

My mind is not in Connecticut

I am on my last round for Spring, 2012, grading, and with every student I assess I am one step closer to returning to Syracuse to take a break, cross a stage, and earn a degree.

I am unsure if a doctoral student can have senioritis (especially if he is working full time and, technically not really a full-time student), but I am suffering from something. I think it is excitement that I will see everyone soon: my family, the boys, members of the Sudanese Lost Boys community, friends, and all those who helped me at Syracuse University...especially Kelly Chandler-Olcott and Marcelle Haddix.

My mind isn't locally in Connecticut and after grading each student portfolio I have begun to alternate the colors between orange and blue. With every portfolio I complete I am one step closer to packing my shirts and ties to come HOME. I told Kelly one time while I was adorned in Red and Black (supporting of U of L) that I always hated the colors Orange and Blue. She said with sage wisdom, "Oh. This will change when you complete your degree. You'll see." She was absolutely right. Look at how I am color coding.

While I finished writing my dissertation and began teaching at a new job, I came to the realization that my home, Syracuse, was renewed f during my studies, but also that the young men who participated were learning central New York as a home, too. Syracuse means family, of course, but now the family has been extended to the Reading and Language Arts Community, to those in Syracuse City Schools, and with the young men and their families who shared their lives with me. It has grown rather robust.

I know...I know... this post is keeping me from finishing the grading. Yet, as you can see, the colors are alternating rather quickly and I only have one more graduate course to assess.

I am suffering from something, yes. Excitement to come home. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment