Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A tradition revisited




For many years I wrote an acrostic goodbye to my outgoing seniors and, since then, I have tried to write a little ditty for every student I have taught. I have not always found the time or energy to piece a poem together, but for my first freshmen crew at Fairfield, I found time to doodle a 24 stanza verse. 

I was fortunate to have the same kids for two semesters, each of us new to our campus. Today, we meet for the last time 

ii. (excerpt)
A sking Emily for insight is fine by me
u see, and that Grammer game, grammatically,
s hades away the cinematography of
t hose scenes which slide forth in a flash (like Charlie,
I also saw my father cry during MASH), but
n ow I whimper at everything, especially

B ecause I’m a foolish imp who tries to hustle,
e gotistically, as an intellectual pimp, you see, but I
g et tongue-tied in silliness like a hyperactive chimp
i n a laboratory of clowns. This must be the improv for
n eophytes until the clock winds each of us down.

3 comments:

  1. Bryan saw my writing emerge
    read it as though as I
    yet thought about what
    a word may mean or
    never considered why
    Read those words as
    if they were from a first
    personal draft or even if so
    lame that each and
    every lousy ass sentence was
    yearning for revision or a
    Clear thought and counterbalance to
    reality but and er
    ahh there's the rub a stolen
    note or phrase passing
    dandily along even
    a word that doesn't exist
    lousy Websters
    loser you lose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. J okes always on us
    M eandering for the perfect punchline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm traveling through Syracuse when you're graduating. given that we never met up when you were there and I was in Rochacha it might be worth seeing that will be a failed meetup too.

    ReplyDelete