...while in and out of schools.
I miss kids. Adults are so (well) trained. BORING. Predictable. Conformed. Static.
In one afternoon of classes at an urban high school, I learned from kids who were talking with one another underneath the radar of their teachers. I picked up on a few new terms that I haven't heard before. I feel like Henry Higgins, at times, with how I get excited about word play and variation. No, I'm not degrading like his character was -linguist snob - I am simply fascinated by the power of youth to usurp language in clever ways.
It's sad that they rarely share such brilliance with their teachers.
Here's a few of my favorites from last week:
Throwing subs - talking about people on Facebook in code. It's basically gossip, but when you write about someone on your Facebook page you throw subs with fictitious names.
Mind the biz wiz - an adaptation of Mind your business.
Dizza - it's "duh" in 2012. Dizza. You didn't know that?
Did ya dirty. Said to me when I cracked a joke about learning in school. It was complimentary.
He got crickets. Said between girls when the teacher was trying to be funny
and failed miserably. No one laughed but the teacher. Girls said, "He got crickets."
I seriously think every teacher should be able to observe classrooms like I do.
Kids are amazing. There's so much life and originality. Unfortunately, teachers missout on this because they're so busy teaching what they think kids need.
I continue to learn more from kids than I ever learned in a formalized class.
I miss kids. Adults are so (well) trained. BORING. Predictable. Conformed. Static.
In one afternoon of classes at an urban high school, I learned from kids who were talking with one another underneath the radar of their teachers. I picked up on a few new terms that I haven't heard before. I feel like Henry Higgins, at times, with how I get excited about word play and variation. No, I'm not degrading like his character was -linguist snob - I am simply fascinated by the power of youth to usurp language in clever ways.
It's sad that they rarely share such brilliance with their teachers.
Here's a few of my favorites from last week:
Throwing subs - talking about people on Facebook in code. It's basically gossip, but when you write about someone on your Facebook page you throw subs with fictitious names.
Mind the biz wiz - an adaptation of Mind your business.
Dizza - it's "duh" in 2012. Dizza. You didn't know that?
Did ya dirty. Said to me when I cracked a joke about learning in school. It was complimentary.
He got crickets. Said between girls when the teacher was trying to be funny
and failed miserably. No one laughed but the teacher. Girls said, "He got crickets."
I seriously think every teacher should be able to observe classrooms like I do.
Kids are amazing. There's so much life and originality. Unfortunately, teachers missout on this because they're so busy teaching what they think kids need.
I continue to learn more from kids than I ever learned in a formalized class.

No comments:
Post a Comment