There are so many rhythms and routines to learn in life, but the one I'm now getting used to is end-of-the-semester grading, especially days before Christmas. The assignments came in and, alas, a number needs to be assigned to the hard work of students. This is never as easy as it seems.
I see the summative part of the semester as a tremendous opportunity to offer written feedback and advice to teachers and students so they recognize what they've achieved and where they might go next. I could throw a number onto the work like 99.9% of my instructors did, but that was never helpful to me. I never understood what the letter indicated. Instead, I learned from the few who carefully wrote back to me and gave me insight on my progress and where I might want to concentrate next.
The result?
Grading in the morning, grading in the afternoon, grading in the evening, grading late and night, and grading in my sleep. It is the curse of semester-shaped systems. I don't remember it being as rough last year, but I think we had more buffer days before the holidays. This year, it is right up against the wire.
Zzzzt. I'm fried.
Tomorrow, I must work through to the bottom of the pile. I must.
I see the summative part of the semester as a tremendous opportunity to offer written feedback and advice to teachers and students so they recognize what they've achieved and where they might go next. I could throw a number onto the work like 99.9% of my instructors did, but that was never helpful to me. I never understood what the letter indicated. Instead, I learned from the few who carefully wrote back to me and gave me insight on my progress and where I might want to concentrate next.
The result?
Grading in the morning, grading in the afternoon, grading in the evening, grading late and night, and grading in my sleep. It is the curse of semester-shaped systems. I don't remember it being as rough last year, but I think we had more buffer days before the holidays. This year, it is right up against the wire.
Zzzzt. I'm fried.
Tomorrow, I must work through to the bottom of the pile. I must.

No comments:
Post a Comment