The news had yet to break about Sandy Hook Elementary, a school 19 miles north of where I live. The text messages started coming while I was in the dark theater, and it was surreal to view the latest Peter Jackson movie - all hyped with graphic bravado - while receiving more and more news of this real-world tragedy.
My mood was bubbly when I arrived. Every nerd, dork, and geek called in sick so they could see the opening of the movie and it was standing room only (all males, mostly bearded, and - dare I admit - rather pathetic). It looked like a Big Bang Theory convention and I was a bit self conscious that I was one of the audience members. I should face the fact that I was.
Early in the movie, before the texts started to come, I thought, "Man. Jackson really commercialized Tolkien's story." His plan is to drag it out for three movies (read $$$). I couldn't help but think that instead of a film, I was watching a video game. The cinematography was nauseating (3D upon High Def) and the violence extreme. It was definitely made to appeal to a generation of online gamers, shooters, and digital dreamers. I was a bit bothered by it, actually. Over the top glorification of death and battle, in my opinion...without any comment on the insanity of such warring.
The texts made the movie experience even more uncomfortable. I worried for teachers and students at the school, especially those who have participated in Connecticut Writing Project at Fairfield events. As I left, I listened to the radio and instantly thought that it was sick that this event occurred right before Christmas. I am thinking of Principal Dawn Hochsprung and the guardian angel she will continue to be for the school.
The crime was unnecessary and evil.
I could make a connection to Tolkien's writing and wisdom, but my interpretation is subdued compared to the Hollywood hype of sensationalizing violence as I viewed yesterday. When I was a kid, I read and saw the cartoon version of The Hobbit, and loved it with an imagination that kept violence at bay. The 2012 version, however, heightened the sensation of killing as if videogaming murder and destruction is fun, joyful and triumphant. I think not. Tokien didn't live to see the cinematic hype of his work. His books brought messages of alliance and history. Peter Jackson's film, this time, seemed to cater to an excessive world of corporate greed. It's sad that we are at this place in American history.
I'm also troubled by random acts of violence that occur in the U.S. on a daily basis (especially so close to my home). As others are asking, I too wonder, "When will the insanity stop? When do we begin to take responsibility, both locally and globally, with such violence?"
Gandalf...Many of us would like your wisdom right about now. Not Peter Jackson's Gandalf, but the one in my head that was first created when I met you as a child. We need wizardry to bring meaning to this occurrence.
No comments:
Post a Comment