Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The traditional acrostic on the last night of class...


I'm such an ass.

For as long as I've taught, I've written acrostics for my students. Here, drawing from the post written for Donna Alvermann, I post the first stanza of "Semi-Composed in December" - a poem written for composers in EN 411 at Fairfield University.

I cherish such distractions.


             i.
S he acted “as if” a writer,
e ntertaining her words “as if” a fighter, for the
m adness of the world and its
i nterconnectedness (“as if” it’s suppose to be sane).

C ause, she explained, it’s a part of performance -
o ur miraculous chance to be alive for a
m oment, “as if” this is what we’re meant to do …
p laying “teacher,” “lover,” “student,” “dreamer,”
o n the stages where curtains are meant to open and close.
s he wrote short fiction, “as if” creative, when
e veryone else performed research, and
d anced into the unknown.

i am growing within the improv, less
n auseated as i once was by all my questions and more,

D elirious when truths unravel like jewelweed seeds galore.
e ventually, i’ll act “as if” it’s supposed to make sense,
c ircumstance, mischance, that perchance
e verything evolves exactly as it should.
m odus omnibus in rebus[1], the advice,
b ut excessiveness has been my spice in life,
e volving “as if” i communicate, remaining
r andom as I am.


[1] moderation in all things

No comments:

Post a Comment